Friday, February 3, 2017

   As a precursor, let me reiterate, these blogs are for intelligent people with a university background and courses in mathematics, engineering, physics and other of the hard sciences.

   I mentioned previously, that I had discovered and explored the free scientific audio suite,Csound, from some people at M.I.T.
   I also mentioned one of the uses I found for the software, namely recording 78 discs at 33 or 45, and using the software to speed up the recordings without altering the pitch. Thus, I simulated a 78-rpm record player using Csound.
   I also mentioned setting up my computer to play a Hammond B3 organ emulator written by one of the contributors, Josep Comjuncosas, using my computer keyboard, using a version of Csound written and built for real time by Gabriel Maldonado, another contributor.
   There is something else I did. There has been a musical instrument harmonic database, known as the SHARC database, compiled by Gregory Sandell,  floating around on the net, for years. I located a copy, in the original format, and converted the files into a Csound instrument set. The database can now be incorporated into classical music instrument emulations using Csound. I was able to ;play' those on my computer keyboard as well. Viola, Cello, Trombone, and so on. The set included pizzacato files.
   Csound uses scripts to run functions, similar to other script based engines such as PHP, Python, PERL, and Javascript. One of the first such engines was for the BASIC programming language. That language was built into IBM personal computers in the early stages of personal computer evolution. Script engines are a popular way to implement a symbolic processor, as opposed to a compiler based engine such as C, C++, Java, and Pascal. Compilers create an independent executable code that is portable without the compiler. A script always requires the engine in order to run.
   The Csound script consists of two scripts that can ber merged into one. An instrument file and an orchestra file. The first defines the instrument and the last defines what 'music' is to be played.
   Note that, ordinarily, the output from cSound is usually written to a file in audio format, e.g. .wav or .mp3, or .ogg. That's why Gabriel Maldonado's work was important. The artist could move from composition into performance, in real time. I could take my laptop and an amplifier up onto a stage and perform any of the works that I've written. Including MIDI files (.mid). Remember midi music?
   Now you can see why a knowledge of mathematics and the physics of music are so important in using Csound. Many of the functions are mathematical. The average person would not know what their purpose was when reading their names. Some are more familiar to musicians. Chorus, reverb, echo, phasing. All of these functions are available in Csound. A musician could make some sense and possibly some use of Csound, but not as much as one with a knowledge of mathematics.
  

  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home