Saturday, April 15, 2017

The nature of instruments and their effect on music; a brief disourse


   Several years ago I began studying the potentials of computers in relation to music. I explored midi file composition using several software programs. As mentioned before, I used  the computer to record organ compositions on my 1968 Hammond H-182. When I discovered Gabriel Maldonado's CsoundAV for real time performance, I had no way to input note data to the computer software. I discovered a couple of pieces of software that would, together, allow me to do that.
   This introduced me to the use of a computer keyboard as a musical instrument. After some time, I began to dwell on the differences between instruments and the nature of the physical possibilities and limitations in playing them.
   One of the advantages of a computer keyboard over the standard 88s is the small physical space of the keyboard corresponds to a greater musical space. For example, octaves are mush easier to play on a computer keyboard than the 88. A guitar can only be played six notes at a time, thus the keyboard, of any kind, tends to be an advantage over the fretboard. The fretless nature of classical string instruments can have certain advantages over the fretboard.
   All of these differences affect the writing and performing of music. I would even suggest that some music, read in notation form, can infer some things about the instrument for which the music was written.
   This is another indication of the potentials and limitations of the nature of the instrument and their effects on musical composition and performance. There is a reason why I prefer the keyboard over the guitar. There are many more possibilities due to the nature of the instrument alone.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home