Monday, April 17, 2017

Updated Hammond B3 - Csound emulator


   This morning, I spent some time with the emulator and the Csound and CsoundAV software.
   I had forgotten much of what I had to do to get the setup working. This was almost a new beginning for me.
   What I found was that some of the older program aids I had used were now antiquated and would not work in the Windows 10 operating system. Eventually, I found a similar software that was compatible with the current version of Windows. Still there was much to do.
   The B3 emulator is a program that consists of a list of parameters and commands, including some for the GUI(Graphical User Interface) (emulated knobs and switches on a control panel). I had to tweak the command line options, known as 'switches', to get the thing to run in CsoundAV. The command line options can be, and are in this case, included at the top of the instrument/score file. The command line I ended up using is:
-+q0 +p1  -m0 -+O -+K -b400 -+P

   There was another problem. The control panel for the emulator has a page for loading, setting, and saving lists of presets. Presets are lists of settings for the virtual organ. The settings are for all the knobs and switches on the control panel, similar to the ones found on a Hammond B3.
   I tried to load the set that comes with the emulator. They're contained in a file:"b3_snap.txt" that is read into the program when the load button is 'clicked.'
   When I tried to select a preset from the loaded file, CsoundAV would crash/close. I tried moving the file out of the Program Files (x86) directory used by the o/s since there are usually permission issues to deal with when accessing that directory, issues that do not exist outside of that and one or two others. That didn't work. What seems to work is changing the name of the file and the default name in the CsoundAV settings panel. CsoundAV no longer crashed. I don't know why.
   To run the Hammond B3 emulator, download Gabriel Maldonados CsoundAV, his free version of VMCI (v2.2), and Josep Comajuncosas DirectHammondv2rt.csd file, along with the presets file mentioned. Locate a midi driver such as loopMIDI.
   The package will install itself. Run the program. Locate the Hammond file. Set the defaults in CsoundAV, Load and run the Hammond emulator with the command line switches listed and you should see a panel pop up, brown. Wait a second and another panel will open up to allow you to select the input source. Wait another 10 or fifteen seconds and an output panel will pop up. I select 0 and 5 respectively. The VMCI will give you a virtual midi driver and a virtual keyboard to play the organ with. I use Midiox. Midiox is a versatile piece of software designed to do the same thing but has more features. The keyboard icon has too be 'clicked' for the computer keyboard to play notes.
   Midiox must be opened/run first and left running, of course, and the focus must be shifted to Midiox before the computer keyboard can sennd midi signals to the CsoundAV software running the Hammond B3 emulator.
   I haven't got the emulator to work with the current version of Csound proper, which now also, has a virtual keyboard for computer keyboard input. That may come later. I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 10 Pro, and the 64-bit version of CsoundAV, and Csound. I don't know if the same setup will work in a 32-bit environment.
   Csound now incorporates a Real-Time feature. Gabriel Maldonados software is not necessary.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home